Search This Blog

Monday 3 March 2008

Social Networking

I have used social networking a lot in my personal life. I have accounts with Myspace and Facebook. I mainly use it to catch up with old school friends, some of whom I haven't seen in about six or seven years. I also use Facebook to view photos of different events. For example, my sister recently got married and a large proportion of the guests posted their photos of the wedding on Facebook. There is also the option of tagging and commenting on photos. I might also add that a certain photo of me in the 'Our Shire' magazine also appeared on Facebook, posted by a thoughtful friend. I found that when Social Networking, you can restrict who is able to view your page and your personal information.
I think social networking would be good for the library going into the future. As I read in the blogs many people are wary of using it because so much crude material can be posted but it is a good way to connect with young people and introduce them to library services. I noticed that a lot of libraries with social networking target teenagers in their content. However, people in their thirties are also common users of social networking and so the library can gradually expand its target audience. As mentioned in the blogs, social networking might also encourage some parents to get involved. The library could run training courses in this technology.

No comments: