Search This Blog

Saturday 23 February 2008

Wiki

When the term Wiki is used the first thing I think of is "Wikipedia: The Online Encyclopedia". I have used this site many times before to look up general information about topics. While information is constantly updated on this site there is no real guarantee of it's accuracy. For example, when a WWF wrestler died last year news of the death was posted on Wikipedia before the event actually occurred. Aside from the possibility that it was a psychic that posted it this is just one example of the flaw in a Wiki. That is why I would not use such technology for serious research.
However I am impressed with the way it is used in a library context. Rather than providing direct information about a topic, it provides information about library resources in relation to a topic. I would use this for serious research. I was particularly impressed with the setup of a Wiki by St Joseph County Public Library. It provides a list of subject guides. Each guide presents brief information about the topic as well as different library resources such as books and electronic documents and databases. It is a very readable and easy to access site. I believe that Wikis can be used in the public library system as a gateway to library resources and services.

No comments: