Search This Blog

Friday 21 March 2008

Podcasts/Vodcasts

I haven't actually used YouTube before and I found some very interesting videos on there. By interesting I mean when I looked up 'library' in the search box I came across some funny and rude videos as well as 'Mr Bean at the Library.' I'm going to Africa in November and was able to find videos of all the places I was going to, which were very helpful. I can also see the value in possibly signing up to YouTube and posting some of my travel videos online. The following is a video of the Chobe riverfront from YouTube.I looked up the National Library of Australia on You Tube using the search function and found that there are a lot of videos broadcasting and promoting events held at the library. This could be a useful tool for any public library. We could broadcast informative videos and videos of some events (with permission provided). Like Social Networking Applications YouTube allows a user to add friends, comment on videos for the library.

I then moved onto Podcasts. My first problem was listening to the podcast. It was extremely slow to load even on a good computer. I think they're a good idea if you've got time. I subscribed to a podcast called Question of the Day. The episode I watched asked people 'Who are you thankful for?' There are 58 episodes of this so far. The library could use podcasts to update members about library services and information. Podcasts might also be used to discuss new websites or books as well. I think that this is technology that may be used in the future . . . when loading times are quicker.

No comments: