Search This Blog

Sunday 20 January 2008

RSS Feeds

I've just been discovering RSS feeds using Google Reader. This technology is completely foreign to me and I think I will have to explore it further to fully understand it. Nevertheless I can see its value. It is a convenient way to view updates on favourite sites. Rather than go to each site individually I can check google reader first. I have subscribed to SSC news which enables me to view any new tips for Learning 2.0. Google Reader also gave me the option of 'Feed Bundles'. This allows me to subscribe to a whole lot of feeds under categories such as 'Top Stories', 'World News' and 'Sport'. I found that this was a good way to begin subscribing to feeds. I am currently subscribed to feeds for the Sydney Morning Herald, Fox Sports etc. Subscribing to a feed isn't as hard as I thought it would be. You just type or 'copy' and 'paste' a url into the 'Add Subscription' icon.



This technology could be used to notify library patrons of upcoming news and events within the library. It could also be used to share ideas and communicate with other libraries. There is an icon on Google Reader which allows users to share RSS feeds with friends. Even though I am yet to use this option it might be a good way to make the community aware of library activities.

No comments: