Search This Blog

Wednesday 16 January 2008

Flickr


I like this photo for two reasons. Even though most photos are supposed to have an 'All sizes' button above them, every photo that appealed to me didn't. I was starting to get frustrated until I saw this one and so it is now my new favourite photo! The other reason is that it is a photo of an island in Fiji. I remember going there in 2005 and being so surprised at how white (and hot) the sand was and how clear the water was. It was great snorkelling and I took some fantastic underwater photos. If I get a Flickr account, I might just scan and upload them. I found this photo while browsing through my favourite holiday destinations in Flickr.
I wasn't sure how Flickr could be used in the library service until I had a look at other library projects. It can be used to share library news and events with members of the public - a bit like a marketing tool. It can also be used to share news and ideas with other library services. I'm also impressed with the National Library's Project Australia. It would be great to set up something like that on a local scale. For example, we could invite Patrons to contribute photos of Sutherland Shire. It would allow members to get more involved in the library and contribute to local history development.

1 comment:

Martin Boyce said...

Flickr members have complete control of the reproduction of their images. If you sign up for an account you get to choose who and how others can see and reproduce your photos. A lot of professional photographers have accounts to show off their work but they disable the sharing features to protect their copyright. So, you're right, many of the best photos in Flickr don't have the 'All Sizes' button and can't be easily posted to your blog. But as you found, there is an awful lot of stuff there if you just keep looking.